COURSE 401: THE ART OF CHAMPIONSHIP COACHING
Softball is more than X's and O's. Learn how to mold your team into the championship team you always wanted. This course will help you develop and apply the skills of coaching through case study and discussion:
- Discover how your coaching style can have maximum impact on your athletes;
- Gain a better understanding of your players -- why they act the way they do and how to predict their responses;
- Improve your effectiveness in dealing with recurring issues like playing time, teamwork, discipline, confidence, slumps and change;
- Learn specific tips for coaching hitters and pitchers;
- Learn to better manage team meetings, conflict and negativity;
- Develop effective protocol for pre-game, pitching changes, substitutions, practice, travel, games and team membership;
- Discuss the art of scheduling and game planning;
- Learn strategies for goal setting, listening, communicating and delegating;
- Identify fatal coaching flaws and discuss how to fix them.
COURSE 402A: ADVANCED ANALYSIS OF PITCHING
This course will provide two days of in-depth information on the technical aspects of pitching; serving to enhance your ability to analyze and teach selected fundamental individual skills to today’s pitcher:
- Study the mechanics of pitching;
- Examine skills through video and photo analysis;
- Evaluate faults and fixes with pitchers;
- Learn coaching cues and drills to improve your pitcher's fundamental skills working hands on with live batters and pitchers.
COURSE 402B: ADVANCED ANALYSIS OF HITTING & SHORT-GAME SKILLS
This course will enhance your ability to understand, analyze and teach selected fundamental individual skills on the offensive side of the ball. Two days of in-depth information will be delivered by instructors who are some of the best offensive minds in the country:
- Study the mechanics of hitting, bunting and slapping;
- Examine skills through video and photo analysis;
- Evaluate faults and fixes with live batters;
- Learn coaching cues and drills to improve your batter's and short gamers fundamental skills working hands on with live batters.
COURSE 403: POSITION PLAY AND INDIVIDUAL DEFENSIVE SKILLS
If defense wins championships, then this course will point you in the right direction. The emphasis of this course is placed on how to analyze, teach, and drill all the defensive skills required to play fastpitch softball at a high level. In addition, you will:
- Study the mechanics of throwing, fielding, receiving and footwork that is needed to play the game;
- Examine the techniques that are used for fielding ground balls, fly balls, covering bases, fielding bunts, tagging runners and turning double plays;
- Identifying and break down the skills required to play each defensive position;
- Accumulate a progression of teaching techniques and drills that will improve team and player efficiency;
- Learn how the ball's "speed and direction" and "depth and distance" will determine a players technique, decision and performance.
COURSE 404: SOLID TEAM DEFENSE & STRATEGY
Strategy meets skill in this in-depth look at creating a strong defensive team. In this course you will learn how to put your individual players together to build a successful defense. In addition, you will:
- Study various defensive sets and discuss how to select the appropriate set for various game situations;
- Identify and understand skills required to execute pickoffs and rundowns;
- Learn how to handle special situations (wild pitch-passed balls, dropped third strikes, intentional walks);
- Respond to steals, extra-base hits, bunts and slaps;
- Increase your understanding of angles, principles of jurisdiction; communication systems and primary-secondary back-up charts;
- Learn to interpret statistics and position your players with a purpose in mind;
- Use the DP-FLEX rule to your advantage;
- Discuss pitch calling, pitching strategy and defensive game plans;
- Accumulate drills for the practice of defensive team skills and strategies.
COURSE 405: EXPLOSIVE TEAM OFFENSE & STRATEGY
You have to score to win. As offenses throughout the country are putting more and more big numbers on the board you can come learn the strategies integral to offensive success. Learn how to read your opponent and coordinate the actions of your individual players in order to score and manufacture runs. In addition, you will:
- Examine the pieces of an explosive offensive puzzle (power, running and short game);
- Learn the elements of play-mapping and apply them to numerous tactics and strategies;
- Practice and evaluate your play calling by going head-to-head with classmates and instructors in various game situations;
- Discuss how to put together a batting order and how to use the DP-FLEX rule to your advantage;
- Study offensive strategy factors and principles of strategic thinking;
- Learn how to interpret opponent statistics and apply the information to your game plan;;
- Explore your offensive philosophy, personnel management, scouting and the evaluation of offensive performance;
- Accumulate drills for the practice of offensive team skills and strategies.
COURSE 406: COACHING DYNAMIC TEAM PRACTICES
Championship teams run championship practices. Learn how to design and implement practices from small group and individual segments to full team sessions that allow skill development in a competitive atmosphere.
- Take an in-depth look at planning, organizing and conducting practices from the ground up;
- Construct a draft of a master practice plan. Discuss sample daily plans.
- Consider differences in pre-season, pre-game and off-season plans;
- Develop practice policies and procedures, logistics and routines;
- Discuss mistakes coaches make when teaching drills and how to prevent them;
- Learn how to boost your players' performance through effective feedback;
- Actively participate in drills designed to improve your personal coaching skills;
- Observe and evaluate practices designed to help players develop game sense, counter offensive-defensive strategies and prepare for games.
COURSE 407: WINNING STRATEGIES FOR GAME-DAY COACHING
From film study to creating a game plan, crafting a pre-game warm-up to delivering a post-game speech, this class has you covered with “all things game day”. You will develop and apply the skills of coaching through observation, analysis of game clips and real-time strategy decisions:
- Analyze selected game match ups. Develop prospective game plans and discuss them in a group setting;
- Identify opponent's basic game plans;
- Scout from within a game and assess the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent;
- Make real-time strategy decisions based on what you see in game clips;
- Evaluate team and individual performance;
- Discuss how to handle "teachable moments," during a game;
- Address difficult coaching situations and brainstorm how to handle them;
- Also addresses such topics as: personnel decisions, game hitting, bench management, game plan adjustments, pitch calling, giving signs, base coaching, and conducting meetings (pre-game, post-game).
COURSE 408: WORLD SERIES COACHING & GAME OBSERVATION
Be part of an elite group who has access to the Division I Women’s College World Series. You will watch the game play during the Thursday & Friday evening sessions and take part in live “what would you do” scenarios. In this course, you will use the Women's College World Series to analyze techniques, strategy, coaching styles and pre-game practice. In addition, you will:
- Learn from guest coaches including participating team coaches and ESPN staff
- Make field observations;
- Scout teams and develop a game plan;
- Review and analyze game tapes;
- Assess team and individual performances;
- Practice personal game tracking, scoring and charting;
- Watch the series games with class instructor and discuss plays;